Agenda Meeting Edinburgh 23rd -27th September

IMAGINE MDVI Edinburgh September 23rd – 27th

Mon 23rd September

Travel Day. Arrival times to be confirmed.
7.30pm Meet at hotel foyer
8.00 Walk or bus to ‘Salisbury Arms’

Tues 24th September

9.00am meet Travelodge lobby. Walk to Craigmillar Campus. (approx. 15mins)
9.30 – 12.00 Meeting Time (with coffee break)
Meet head of school Aine
Discussion and a short presentation (Website) Aine, Michael
Introduction of the daily program, further proposals for the agenda and agreements to a changed agenda Michael
brief report about the local examination of the National Agency Michael
12.00 – 1.00 Lunch
1.00 – 2.30 Meeting Time
Actual developments of the „Tempest“
Presentation of different versions of „The Tempest“
Considerations, experiments and experiences
Consequences and results for our Guideline
all Partners discussion
2.30 – 3.15 Tour of school
3.15 – 4.15 Free time/back to hotel
4.15 Travel to city centre for a Magical Mystery Tour! (Wear warm clothes)
8.00 Meet at Restaurant ‘Loch Fyne’

Wed 25th September

9.00am meet Travelodge lobby. Travel to Canaan Lane Campus.
9.30 – 10.30am Tour of Canaan Lane Campus
10.30 – 12.00 Meeting time (with coffee)
Continuation of presentations
Experience from the realization of the theme
What kind of results we can transfer in our Guideline
all Partners discussion
12.00 -1.00 Lunch
1.00 – 2.00 Meeting time
Summary of results and assignment to the 6 points
all Partners
2.00 – 3.15 Music workshop in Forward Vision
3.15 – 4.00 Afternoon tea in Forward Vision
4.00 – 5.30 Meeting time
the attempt of a draft common version of the Guideline
based on the structure (6 points)
6.15pm Meet at restaurant ‘Howies’ followed by pub crawl!

Thurs 26th September

9.00 meet Travelodge Lobby. Walk to Craigmillar Campus.
9.30 – 12.00 Meeting Time
Summary of Results
Agreements and homework for the next meeting
12.00 – 1.00 Lunch then presentation of certificates from head of school
1.00 – 1.30 Evaluation
Italian colleagues leave
1.30 – 3.00 Music workshop (Louisa)
Shopping/ sightseeing time
7.00 Reverie Pub for meal and music

Friday 27th September
Travel Day

Notes from IMAGINE Project visit to Edinburgh 23rd – 27th September 2013





Untitled Document

Tuesday 24TH September 2013

The meeting opened with the head teacher of the Royal Bind School and the Chief Executive of Royal Blind welcoming everyone to Edinburgh.

A discussion took place around the provision of services for disability people and the difficulties and non-specific services for disabled people.

The daily agenda was discussed and arrangements explained.

Website
There had been difficulties with film supplied by Italy as it contains music which required a performing arts license. Member countries explained this was the same in all member countries.
Member countries need to try where possible to include original music or free music. Michael gave examples of difficulties experienced by other European projects. Members of the project need to check that any text used is also available to use and does not incur costs.
Scotland explained that work had been done in Forward Vision over the summer period where a music specialist had composed music, which could be used in the dissemination in Italy.

Michael asked members for an update off progress of project.
Alne explained how summer music workshops had worked over the summer. Alne explained that music, lights and technology had been used, photographic evidence was circulated.
Acknowledgement was made to the fact that the method used needs to reflect the client group involved.

Italy had decided to have two groups undertaking different activities again depending on ability of clients. It is important to ensure there are no barriers to participation. Expressing emotion is very important for clients.

Germany explained they have been working on body movement, feeling and emotions. Exercises have been undertaken looking at what it would be like to live on an island, i.e. isolation. Germany explained there was no fixed.

France explained that improvisation is also very important for them. Exercises have also been undertaken.
Scotland explained that last June, 7 young people performed in a mainstream theatre using characters from The Tempest. Scotland explained this also helped young people with the concept of leaving school and moving on. Scotland felt this had been very powerful for the audience.

Italy explained during the summer they had undertaken work including improvisation.

Acknowledgement was made to the fact that four countries had undertaken the work four different ways with respect for their own culture.

The member countries acknowledged that it was important to ensure that this was shared on the end report and guidelines, and that examples of good practice are shared.

It is important to evidence how the project runs and that our experiences and way through the process are clearly evidenced, Photographs and videos could also be used as evidence.

Discussion of final report for agency — Our written experiences. what we learned from one another is very important.

Need to talk about progress and how the clients change and develop through the process. They are motivated because they are emotionally engaged.

`The Tempest‘ is just the starting point — each country has taken it in their own way. Germany found that there was a lack of acceptance for `theatre‘ as work so they have to change opinion and belief. Theatre work is not valued in the German community. They see it as a game.

Should be in guidelines — to encourage all teachers.

Michael reported back from his audit from the German Nation Agency, Michael had created a file with different chapters explaining each aspect of the project.

His report commented on the leadership, quality and professional competence of the project was done. He pointed out that results must be published on the website.

Thank you to Jan and Aine for reports and newsletters. These are important evidence for the project.

Kuni fed back her experiences and discussions with the auditor.

The guidelines — Michael proposed that we discuss the basic structure of these guidelines.

Structure for Guidelines

Important to ensure that guidelines reflect that there is no barrier to participation in theatre.

Explanation could be given i.e. sensory, exploring, improvisation, pictures showing different types of client groups.

Italy felt that it was important to acknowledge that our clients also experience a build­up of emotion similar to that which most people experience in theatre work or setting.

Germany gave examples of connection.

Theatre can be an instrument for many of our clients.

Target group for guidelines — should be people working with people with MDVI. Teachers/professional actors/funding bodies — i.e. professionals.

Message should be that all is possible if you prepare well then anything is possible.

Scotland gave the example of Forward Vision where there was no theatrical background and that they had been able to embrace the challenge of ensuring that MDVI clients are able to parti9cipate in theatre with the appropriate support and preparation.

It is also important to reflect the different cultures from member countries.

A method could be developed which can be used in the workplace. This would aid confidence, ability and opportunities for MDVI clients. Drama can be used to help minimise problems and issues.

Acknowledgement needs to be made to the fact that often it is difficult to monitor feelings and expressions of MDVI clients and interpret them appropriately.

Expression can also change depending on the situation. Photographic evidence will be very important for the guidelines. Clients from Italy will be performing in Italy next week in a festival. It will also be important to reflect on audience participation.

Group were given presentation by Germany. Discussion took place around the different aspects and expectations.

Presentation will be included in the notes circulated.

 Wed 25th September 2013

The day commenced with a tour around the Canaan Lane Campus of The Royal Blind School, where members were able to view residential and class areas and resources. Members were able to observe practice.

Agreement that Kuna should complete presentation in 20 mins. Each other member country should have 10-15 mins to present.

A discussion took place regarding the fact it was important to promote that theatre work can be undertaken in every setting and with varying resources.

Italy then presented DVD evidence of their progress on `the Tempest‘ which had been undertaken over the summer.

Scotland circulated photographs and dialogue of their suggestions for inclusion in the guidelines.

France brought to the meeting a DVD of workshops. They also provided photographs and dialogue which could be used in the guidelines.

Scotland shared their DVD’s One from Forward Vision – Karl working on `The Tempest‘ magic theme. And one showing a rehearsal for a performance where young people had ;earned lines from the original script.

We all took part in a workshop hosted by Forward Vision music group. 4 young adults and all of us joined in. We then met staff over afternoon tea.

The Final Session

Germany will take a group from SWW to the next meeting in Clermont Ferrand during the festival.

Discussions took place around format of final arrangement for Osimo. The first question would be how long group members would be able to travel to Osimo for this would include client travelling.

Rehearsals need to take place for any final production. This needs to include time for workshops, dissemination. The suggestion was that the meeting may need to be 4 days in length rather than 3 as at previous meetings. Discussions took place around that it may be easier for performance to be at the beginning.

ecisions need to be made by the end of October to make appropriate travel and accommodation for the dissemination.

Travel day 12th May

13th Meeting am = Clients prepare for performance – Workshop pm 14th Performance and dissemination.3.30/4pm onwards

15th Evaluation

16th Evaluation to include final report.

Final programme to be arranged in France.

Professional arrangements to be done by e-mail.

Germany still has to decide if clients will travel and if so how many. France will send Italy all information as soon as possible.

Scotland will check what musical instruments will be required and Italy will check if any are duplicated.

Scotland will advise Italy haw the workshops will be structured. Italy will send approximate numbers of clients to Scotland. The workshops may be offered to other services in local area in Italy.

The day concluded by members gathering in a restaurant to enjoy Scottish food. The group were joined by Elaine Brackenridge – Head Teacher at The Royal Blind School and Richard Hellewell Chief Executive of Royal Blind.

Thursday 26th September 2013

Collecting Guidelines

Michael recapped on the work we have already seen from one another institutes. Structure for introduction.

Discussion took place whilst working on each part of the guidelines around methodology.

DVD to be produced.

All photographic material to be sent to Michael. This should be sent as a data file not as a DVD or a CD.

Photographs and information brought to meeting in Edinburgh by all member countries will be gathered by Scotland and placed in the section Practical ideas. Scotland will merge all words, around photos and Michael will then do final edit.

Guy from France gave details of the method in which his organisation worked with people who are blind or visually impaired. This included technology and the need for contract and orientation with people who are sighted and support them.

The final paragraphs for the conclusion will be drawn together in Clermont Ferrand in spring 2014.


4th Project Meeting Edinburgh

Evaluation_Header4

The purpose of this Questionnaire is to gather your comments:

  • About how the Project has gone for you to date
  • About how working transnationally is helping you
  • About how the Project is helping you and your organisation to work towards its aim

 

IMAGINE MDVI
— An Inclusive forum to develop Movement, Action, Gesture, Improvisation, Negotiation and Expression of Multiple Disability Visual Impairment adults

 

1

Describe how the Project has gone for you to date?

 

We have progressed well. All members completed homework tasks and this was shared and circulated. This was done through sharing DVD,s, photographs and power point. This was very positive for all of us.

2

Have any challenges presented themselves as a result of this Meeting, and how did you resolve them?

    
We had to talk through and have intensive discussion about our different client groups and come to agreement on outcomes – making sure that the outcome is positive and realistic for each client.
Presentation of Homeworks was a challenge – language, organisation of chapters and intrepetations of what we were asked to do was different. We overcame this through discussion.

 

 

3

What positive aspects do you see for yourself and your organisation at this point in working transnationally on the specific subjects of this Project?

 

Getting ideas from one anothers work and DVD,s. Learning from one anothers work and experiences. Getting new inspiration. The opportunity to promote the project with Headteacher and Chief Executive raising the profile of the project within the organisation. Reflecting on our own work and culture in a different way.
 

 

4

Were there any uncertainties about preparing information for the meeting? If yes, what were they? How could this have been made clearer?

 
We had very clear notes with marked action points from the previous meeting.

5

What are highlights will you share with colleagues from within your organisation? (Apart from the food and the beer…….)

 

 

The sharing of practice and looking at DVDs from other institutions was excellent. We will continue to share this with our colleagues who are becoming increasingly aware of the project and its value.
The Forward Vision music workshop illustrated an empathetic way of working.
Having a tour of each campus was good for understanding and comparisons with institutes across Europe.
Looking at equipment, experiencing the atmosphere and surrounding environment was all good.
Finding parallels with our client groups was beneficial.

 

6

What are factors from this Meeting will contribute to your own professional development and how will this influence your daily practice?

 

 

See above.

 

 

 

 

Thinking of THIS Meeting …..

 

 

7.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.

Are you clear about what your Objectives are for the next period?

Yes

No

 

Any comments?

 

 

Yes, we are clear that we continue working in a practical way and move towards bringing all of our findings together.

 

9.

Do you anticipate any problems in meeting these Objectives?

Yes

No

 

Any comments?

 

 

No

 

10

Has the Meeting been the right length and format?

Yes

No

 

Any comments?

 

 

Yes.

7

Have the accommodation and meeting places been satisfactory?

Yes

No

 

Any comments?

 

 

Yes

 

8

Finally, what would you like to see included in the next meeting? (including social aspects)

 

 

 

9

Signed (OPTIONAL):