Minutes Clermont-Ferrand

IMAGINE PROJECT     Clermont Ferrand

CF_08Tuesday 7th May 2013

Present: Michael, Koni, Jan, Aine, Celine, Guy, Patricia, Nicholetta, Janni

Michael welcomed everyone to meeting in France.

Group introduced themselves to each other and gave an outline of their institutions and the services they provide.

Form of evaluation for Grindvig to be completed during this meeting. This has to be submitted soon.

Both these should be completed by the end of this meeting. Time allocated Thursday morning.

Change of the Agenda may need to change due to there being no train on Friday which would result in being late for check in at Lyon airport.

Amendments will be made accordingly to agenda to ensure all work covered.

Members to outline what their production of The Tempest  will be.

CF_04Germany have discussed the production with clients who questioned whether this would be for a wider audience. German clients feel that it would be difficult to put on four performances. German clients don’t want to just perform is Osimo. Suggestion that Shakespeare is the theme not just The Tempest. German members felt  this had been a very positive move for their clients as they previously accepted guidance from staff.

Discussions need to take place regarding what to expect in Osimo next year. This should include a discussion regarding resources, it is important to ensure all member countries are represented.

Guidelines – first draft to be drawn up at this meeting. Work to be undertaken during the first session.

Member countries to present progress update on work being undertaken.

Clarification of agenda items – visit to MDVI centre and workshops was given by France.

Logo, website will be reviewed on Wednesday 8th May. Decisions will be made at the is point.

Evaluation and interim reports will be undertaken on Thursday morning.

The thoughts from the last meeting on the guidelines were circulated and discussed.

Guidelines

Statement

A general statement should include an acknowledgement of the differing abilities of client groups in member countries. Statement should include that any barriers should be overcome.

CF_02Acknowledgement should be made to how confidence and self-esteem and social skills can be improved by participation in expressive art, as well as some clients being able to go on to paid employment.

Structure of Guidelines

  1. Statement
  2. Principals –differences in clients
  3. Practical – examples of practice

Suggestion for Scotland that guidelines should be user friendly ensuring that:

Need to describe differences in clients groups.

Maybe necessary to collate small leaflet/book rather than simply guidelines.

Pictures could be used to illustrate practices, which would show different steps.

This would also help to show that theatre is for all by having photographs of different client groups.

Suggestion that each country could provide A4 sheet with practical ideas which would also contain photographic illustration.

Not too many words using descriptions should be used. Only clear ideas of how to work with clients should be used.

Guidelines should be clear for workers who may not have as much experience working with MDVI clients.

Emphasis should be placed on promoting ability to build confidence and self-esteem.

Outcomes should include integration/confidence building.

Differences in client groups can be acknowledged in photographs.

CF_09Structure for guidelines

  1. Statement – Different client groups acknowledged.
  2. Principals and methods
  3. Practical ideas with photos of different client groups
  4. Resources
  5. Possible outcome summary
  6. Mission statement

Clarification of funding for leaflet. This will take the form of a leaflet on the home page. Scotland questioned whether this was written within guidelines of project. It was felt that it was.

Discussion took place as to whether some hard copies should be available for final meeting in Osimo. A suggestion was made that a small flier be made or some posters to draw attention to the project website address.

This could also ensure that the information was available in different languages. A pen drive could also be made available.

Badges could also be made available.

Actions required

CF_03Each member country to produce practical ideas and photographs to be prepared for meeting in Edinburgh.

No more than five  practical ideas and five photographs for this section. Additional photographs should be brought for other sections of guidelines. Any description should be brief.

Key word from the title should include – these are movement, action, gesture, improvisation, negotiation and expression.

Role and responsibility of education should be included in principals and methods section.

Actions required

Four to six  lines could be included, or art work to illustrate that it is possible to include clients in all aspects of theatre work from performance to set production and this can happen on different levels based on ability of client.

One page of pictures to be produced by Scotland.

Four lines  for the outcome summary should be produced for ideas for the summary. These will be discussed and collated in Edinburgh.

Also for inclusion in the guidelines could be a short section looking at practical aspects of technical support or making areas safe to enable all people to participate. It may also be necessary to refer to resource aspects.

Discussion took place that all member countries have different resources and that emphasis should be made that simple solutions can overcome this.

Action required

CF_01Member countries should prepare a short statement on this for the Edinburgh meeting.

Discussion took place that often resources were available for children’s services; however this was not often reflected in adult services. This appears to be the case in all members’ countries. Scotland was able to give practical examples of this.

A sentence regarding the mission of this project which would be to promote the importance of the continuation of expressive art once a client reaches adulthood. Practical examples were also given from Germany of issues with resources, and the inequality of work for able bodied actors and those with a disability.

Action Required

All pieces of work on the guidelines to be sent to Michael in Munich by 9th September 2013.

The morning session concluded with short presentation by France on the work undertaken at association Lee Vonen and a festival held recently in the area where with disabilities and non-disabled participated together. 4000 visitors and 620 actors attended.

Tuesday Session 2

CF_07The afternoon session commenced with a visit to the theatre at Association Lee Voivien.

This was followed by a short presentation of the work undertaken by young people at the Royal Blind School in Edinburgh on the chosen text  The Tempest.

A DVD of this presentation will be placed on the website.

Italy then presented by way of a DVD an update of the work they have been undertaking on the text.

Discussion took place around the benefit of  presenting different interpretation of the Tempest.

Language may also be a difficulty which would further complicate the issue.

Italy may present one part and acknowledgement has to be given to the fact that many clients do not have verbal communication. Italy suggested that a small descriptive leaflet could be circulated.

Clients from Germany felt that they would pick topics from The Tempest such as Jealousy, Emotion.

Italy indicated that their presentation would last approximately 20 Mins. Discussion took place around that the presentation from clients from Germany would be inspired by The Tempest and these would relate to life experiences by clients.

CF_11Michael raised that it was important to ensure that any dissemination would be in line with the objectives of the project. Michael questioned whether putting on different productions of the same play would evidence this, members felt that it would, as it evidenced that productions could be undertaken in different ways. A discussion ensued regarding how long the production should last. The group explored that an integrated performance from all members clients would be difficult for clients to cope with. A workshop/festival approach maybe the best approach.

The performance will take place in a venue in Osimo yet to be decided.

Germany gave a practice example of a festival they had held.

It was highlighted that time needed to be allocated during the final meeting for project meetings not just preparation for The Tempest production.

The target group for the audience would be parents/relatives of performers, local people/people from National agencies.

Michael raised that he would like production to be only for clients from member countries rather than involving clients from other services. It will also be important for clients from member countries to spend time together. Attention needs to be given to meeting time.

France have also been working on the Tempest and taking one section and working with a mixed age and abilities of clients. A group of around seven or  eight may attend the production in Osimo.

The group from France will perform for approx. 20 min at presentation in Osimo, but may have a longer production for general use.

Germany may make presentation in Clemont Ferrand in March next year. A longer version may be presented there, and a shorter version in Osimo. The possibility of a seminar around the presentation will be discussed in Edinburgh.

CF_06Suggestion that one member country performs 20 mins then video presentation by Scotland another member country for 20 mins, followed by another short video performance by Scotland, and then last members country would perform their 20 min slot. Attention would need to be paid to technical details if DVD’s are used.

Reflection was given to the fact that multimedia was also used in many main stream theatre’s.

Italy commented that it was important that a discussion was made regarding the type of presentation. I.e. Video/DVD only would result in seminar type and it would be important that the event was marketed import.

Scotland raised that it was important that if clients were coming to Osimo events then staff needed to be allocated to them as members groups would have to concentrate on the project.

Discussion took place as to whether seminar type event maybe easier to organise. Photos could be used, questions could be asked of clients. Live performances could also be incorporated. Clients from Germany, Italy, France could be present in Osimo.

The initial decision to hold live performances may need to be reviewed. It was felt that at least a preparation could be done at the Festival in France in March.

The seminar could be for professionals in the field.

Italy raised the people would be unlikely to travel for a 3 hour seminar.

A further discussion needs to take place on Wed 8th May 2013.

Members then visited CRDV a rehabilitation centre for MDVI, this was followed by members of the group participating in a theatre workshop before enjoying a meal at the local restaurant.

Wednesday 8th May 2013

CF_12Scotland circulated ideas for logos for the project.

Members reviewed the suggestions. The group expressed their thanks to Margaret Simpson from Scotland for her art work for the Logo.

After a vote the logo was chosen. Germany will take the drawings to their IT department for making up.

Format of Final meeting

France keen to travel to Osimo with actors

Germany keen to travel to Clermont Ferrand for a production of The Tempest at the festival in March where video could be taken.

Dissemination could take  two  forms – live performance and seminar (conference Style)

Conference during the day – live performance during the evening.

Clients would be available to answer questions on what theatre means to them.

Italy and France to give performance.

Scotland and Germany to provide DVD footage.

Scotland stated that music teachers from Scotland could present workshops if required.

Italy raised concerns that people may not stay after the Seminar for the live performances and that any ideas should be carefully thought through.

Germany suggested that the event takes place in the afternoon to try to encompass all parts of the programme at the one time.

France felt that they would be able to travel with a group. It may not be possible for young people from CRDV to travel and it may be a group of adults only. Costing’s will also need to be dene to see how viable any trip will be.

Further discussions need to take place in Edinburgh to work on the finer details of the programme.

Italy voiced concerns regarding the event in Osimo. The concerns were around the fact that the centre already utilizes the services of a music therapist, with additional support from other music professionals and had recently offered an event regarding music input for MDVI.

Discussions took place around where the events could be held. A suggestion that a hotel cold be used as a venue.

Ideas for dissemination meeting.

Workshops for MDVI clients

Seminar for professionals who were around

Live performances could follow

Germany Suggested :

Examples of practice could be shown. Followed by lecture for one afternoon. The anticipated audience could be teachers and professionals.

The guidelines could be launched at this point.

AM – Lecture

Lunch

PM – Examples of practice

Followed by live performance in theatre

Italy suggested that we needed to look at a wider audience.

After performance there could be a launch of guidelines with interested people.

Discussed need to clarify what is required for dissemination: Live performance – Italy/France – for public audience.

Other possibilities – seminar for education

½ day client’s workshop – Music – Therapy workshops

Need to incorporate video performances.

Pictures could be available in exhibition of process which would be available during break.

Music teachers from Scotland could provide workshops for clients from Italy, Germany and France. A venue cold be arranged for this and volunteers could be available. This could take place 3.30 -4pm for one hour. This could be combined with theatre workshops.

Dissemination

Short lecture from officials from National agency as this is in original proposal so needs to be adhered to. This would last for approx. 30 mins. Theatre in Italy starts at 9pm. The event would then last until around 11pm.

Target group for dissemination:

2 or 3 officials from agency and sometimes political figures.

Can be open to all.

Scotland raised that it was difficult to encompass two events.

Italy was asked to give examples of how other European projects had resolved this. The suggestion was that seminar took place later in afternoon, followed by the other events.

Scotland suggested that perhaps a further date could be arranged – This was.

Germany suggested Italy ask their national agency if they would be interested in attending.

Italy explained that in another project had added dissemination into another conference. Germany felt that organising a conference was too much to organise.

8pm dissemination – if not interested then attend @ 9pm for performance.

Italy raised that the wider audience may then wonder about the project if they had not been present at dissemination event.

A further discussion took place whether it was possible to have the event in the afternoon into the early evening. This may be more beneficial for parents/professionals and national agencies.

Seminars

Followed by dissemination event

Followed by Live performances

Venue needs to be identified. Italy needs to check whether theatre will be available for event date of 14/5/13. Concerns were raised that if there was a small audience then a big theatre then a big theatre would not be best venue.

Consideration needs to be given to best venue for clients/audience and for positive outcome for project. Questions were raised if an outside venue cold be used, but there may be issues with light.

Michael and Patricia will visit theatre in May 2013 and then decision will be made regarding an appropriate venue.

It is also important to consider clients as they would benefit from performing in a theatre.

Preferred option

Workshop for clients of institution as fun event. Run the day before the dissemination with input from Scotland music teachers and Italy Music specialist and theatre groups from France and Germany.

Dissemination

Afternoon with presentation of project to be decided in Edinburgh.

Exhibition and live performance.

Patricia and Michael to review location later this month. Audience will be invited once location has been decided.

Final decisions will be made in Edinburgh in September 2013.

Attention will be need to be paid to regulations around use of music.

Discussions need to take place once venue and programme has been decided to ensure resources are shared by member countries. Italy will provide estimated costs at  the meeting in Edinburgh.

Website discussion.

Logo to be changed in line with one chosed by group members. It was felt background was good and gave good contrast. Participant’s page should have institute names with links to each organisation.

Actions required

Link addresses to be sent to Kuni as soon as possible.

Results section needs updated on website. Summary of notes from Osimo and Clermont  Ferrant.

Photos of the group should also be put on the website. These summaries could also be used for newsletter.

A drop down for a newsletter will also be created. This will contain structure of guidelines. Scotland will undertake this task. A photo of each meeting will be included.

Photos should also be sent to Michael for inclusion on photo section on the website. This should also include photographs of the cultural activities.

Michael will inform Group members when the website has been updated.

Thursday 9th May

CF_10The sessions were spent completing interim reports for Gruatrig and completion of evaluations.

Michael concluded the meeting by thanking the group for their contributions, and everyone thanked France for their hospitality.

The group enjoyed a sightseeing tour of Clermont Ferrand followed by the rescheduled visit to the volcano  at puy de Dome. The evening concluded with a visit to a local restaurant where a French meal consisting of snails and frogs legs was offered to group members.

Notes taken by Jan Thomson (Scotland)

Evaluation 3rd-meeting Clermont-Ferrand

Evaluation_Header

The purpose of this Questionnaire is to gather your comments:
      About how the Project has gone for you to date
      About how working transnationally is helping you
      About how the Project is helping you and your organisation to work
towards its aim
 
IMAGINE MDVI

— An Inclusive forum to develop Movement, Action, Gesture, Improvisation, Negotiation and Expression of Multiple Disability Visual Impairment adults

 

1

Describe how the Project has gone for you to date?

 

Good progress has been made in all areas. DVD presentations were viewed and it was good to see what progress has been made by member countries and in the different ways in which they have been working with MDVI clients.

 

Review was undertaken of the Project website and adaptations and amendments will be made.

 

Work has also been very productive on creation of a logo, with art work provided.

 

Interesting to meet with clients from Clermont Ferrand, and to see how they worked. This gave us more of an understanding of the work undertaken. Very good to see members of the group working in their own setting with particular reference made to the work undertaken by Guy, and how inspirational his work can be for other people, both with and without disabilities.

2

Have any challenges presented themselves as a result of this Meeting, and how did you resolve them?
There was a number of technical difficulties with some parts of the programme. For example, the train on one of the sightseeing trips was not operational, however, it was evident that the group are now working very closely, and were able to talk through the difficulties and work out an alternative programme. There was initially a difference of opinion as to the way in which the dissemination would be presented, but again through open and honest discussion any difficulties were resolved and an initial proposal was put in place for discussion again in Edinburgh.

3

What positive aspects do you see for yourself and your organisation at this point in working transnationally on the specific subjects of this Project?
Working transnationally gives all members the opportunity to reflect on their practice. An example of this was reflection on the fact that the Project has members from Italy, Germany, France and Scotland who all speak different languages. This reminds us that for many of the clients that we work with who have no, or little verbal communication that life can often be quite isolating and how difficult it can be when you cannot communicate what you want or need. Members are able to share details of the Project are able to share with their clients, and this has resulted in them having more of an understanding of  people with MDVI in other parts of Europe. The production of a DVD will enable professionals in other countries to look at other methods used by other European partners.

4

Were there any uncertainties about preparing information for the meeting? If yes, what were they? How could this have been made clearer?
  No not on this occasion as lessons had been learnt and adopted from previous meetings. 

5

What are highlights will you share with colleagues from within your organisation? (Apart from the food and the beer…….)
   Information will be shared with colleagues regarding the logo and website. Knowledge gained about the service in Clermont Ferrand, and lessons and opportunities from the theatre workshops will be shared with colleagues and clients. Information on resources was also helpful and could be shared in home services. Informal discussions about other partner services have also be informative. Visit to the CRDV centre for MDVI people of all ages and stages was helpful and will help inform practice and service development.

6

What are factors from this Meeting will contribute to your own professional development and how will this influence your daily practice?

 

See above.

 

 

Thinking of THIS Meeting …..
   

7.

Have you been able to raise and discuss points within the group that you wanted to? If not, please explain why?  
   
  Yes – discussions were open and honest and members were able to voice their opinions and feel listened too.  

8.

Are you clear about what your Objectives are for the next period? Yes No
  Any comments?
   Yes. Detailed notes were taken and these will be circulated amongst group members will action points clearly highlighted.  

9.

Do you anticipate any problems in meeting these Objectives? Yes No
  Any comments?
    No 

10

Has the Meeting been the right length and format? Yes No
  Any comments?
   Yes.  

7

Have the accommodation and meeting places been satisfactory? Yes No
  Any comments?
    Yes 

8

Finally, what would you like to see included in the next meeting? (including social aspects)
   Progress DVDs of work being undertaken.Photographs would also be helpfulMore information about dissemination.Tasting of Scottish products such as A man in a kilt!!!Exchanges with music department.The chance to catch up with other RBS colleagues.Braille Press visitArrange with Marketing Dept interview with local press.

Interview with local In site radio company to help with dissemination of Project

 

9 Any other comments The group thanked members in France for their hospitality, and friendship during the meeting days.  Signed (OPTIONAL):